Meet Dr. John Obi, MD
Accomplished & Specialized
Dr. John Obi
Jacksonville, FL 32216
Dr. Obi, MD, FACS, is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is also a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
He was born in Jacksonville and graduated with distinction from Bishop Kenny High School. He earned his bachelor’s degree with distinction from Mercer University in Macon, Ga., and his medical degree from Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans, LA. He completed his General Surgery residency through Jacksonville’s University Medical Center (now Shands Jacksonville). He then finished a Plastic, Reconstructive and Hand Surgery residency at Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami School of Medicine.
Dr. Obi, MD, FACS, is also an adjunct clinical professor of Plastic Surgery at the University of Florida College of Medicine – Jacksonville. He has practiced privately since 1981, and is on staff at Memorial Hospital and Wolfson Children’s Hospital. In addition, he has privileges at St. Luke’s Hospital, Baptist Medical Center and Shands Jacksonville, as well as Baptist Beaches Medical Center in Jacksonville Beach.
He is active in many medical societies, and served as president of the Florida Society of Plastic Surgeons in 2007. He’s also been chosen as a best plastic surgeon in Jacksonville for several years.
Dr. Obi, MD, FACS, has served as the Plastic Surgeon in Charge of the Jacksonville Cleft Lip & Palate Clinic since 1985. He and his wife have four children, and he enjoys photography, sports cars, fishing, golf and football.
Recipient Lifestyle Lift Humanitarian Award 2014.
Recipient FRIST Humanitarian Award (HCA Hospitals) 2015.
Professional Training and Experience
- Plastic Surgery
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- SouthEastern Society of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeons
- Florida Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Greater Jacksonville Society of Plastic Surgeons
- D. Ralph Millard Plastic Surgery Society
- Florida Physicians Association
- American Society of Laser Medicine & Surgery
Professional Societies (cont’d)
- American Cleft Palate & Craniofacial Association
- Florida Cleft Palate & Craniofacial Association
- Staff, Memorial Medical Center, Jacksonville, FL
- Staff, Wolfson Children’s Hospital, Jacksonville, FL
- Courtesy Staff, Baptist/ Beaches Medical Center, Jacksonville Beach, FL
- Courtesy Staff, Baptist Medical Center, Jacksonville, FL
- Courtesy Staff, Shands Jacksonville
- Fat Grafting in Facelift Surgery (2016)
- Finesse in Post Massive Weight Loss Body Contouring (2016)
- Plastic Surgery, The Meeting, American Society of Plastic Surgeons (2015, 2016)
Continued Education (con’t)
- Controversies and Challenges in Aesthetic Surgery (2015)
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), Annual Meeting, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (2012)
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), Annual Meeting, Denver, CO (2011)
- Florida Society of Plastic Surgeons (FSPS), Annual Meeting, Naples, FL (2011)
- ASAPS, Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C. (2010)
- FSPS, Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL (2010)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- Basic Life Support
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons Continuing Medical Education
|Residency||The University of Miami School of Medicine/Jackson Memorial Hospital |
Jacksonville, FL Plastic, Reconstructive and Hand Surgery
Jacksonville Hospitals Educational Programs/ University Hospital of Jacksonville —
Jacksonville, FL General Surgery
|Medical School||Tulane University School of Medicine — New Orleans, LA |
Doctor of Medicine
|Undergraduate Studies||Mercer University — Macon, GA |
Bachelor of Science, cum laude
Additional Achievements of Dr. John Obi
- Body contouring after massive weight loss. Presented at: Bariatric Surgery Program, Memorial Hospital, Jacksonville, FL (2012).
- Facial contouring using blunt tip cannulas. Presented at: American Society of Plastic Surgical Nurses (ASPSN) (2012) The liquid contourplasty. Presented at: ASPSN (2011).
- Current trends in plastic surgery. Presented at: Speaking of Women’s Health, Adams Mark Hotel, Jacksonville, FL (September 28, 2002).
- Plastic surgery. Presented on: ABC’s 20/20 with Diane Sawyer, New York, NY (November 1999).
- Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor, University of Florida/ Shands Jacksonville, FL (May 2005 — present)
- Former Medical Education Faculty, Merz Aesthetics, Bioform Medical (June 2008 — 2015)
- Investigator, IDEAL IMPLANT
- Chief of Plastic Surgery, Memorial Hospital, Jacksonville, FL (June 2002 — December 2009), (January 2010 — present)
- Chairman, Credentials Committee, Memorial Hospital, Jacksonville, FL (1995 — 2008), (2017 — present)
- Program Chairman, Florida Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting (2008)
- President, Florida Society of Plastic Surgeons (2007)
- President Elect, Florida Society of Plastic Surgeons (2006)
- Secretary, Florida Society of Plastic Surgeons (2005)
- Treasurer, Florida Society of Plastic Surgeons (2004)
- Director, Florida Society of Plastic Surgeons (2003)
- President Medical Staff, Memorial Hospital of Jacksonville, FL (2015 – 2016)