Meet Dr. John Rachel, MD, FACS
Accomplished & Specialized
Dr. John Rachel
Glenview, IL 60025
Dr. Rachel, MD, FACS, is double board-certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, and the American Board of Otolaryngology. He is also a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
His interest in Facial Plastic Surgery began during medical school and his residency, when he was exposed to trauma and cancer surgery patients requiring facial reconstruction. The field was fascinating, required the surgeons to be both creative and skillful, and profoundly affected patient’s lives. He is currently affiliated with NorthShore University HealthSystem in Evanston and St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates.
Dr. Rachel, MD, FACS, earned his medical degree at Wayne State University in Detroit, where he was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. He remained there for his Otolaryngology (head and neck surgery) residency through the Detroit Medical Center. He was then selected for a Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery fellowship at a prominent aesthetic surgery institute in Indianapolis. There, he earned the John Orlando Roe Award in Facial Plastic Surgery.
In his spare time, he enjoys endurance races, having completed half and full marathons, standard-distance triathlons and IRONMAN events.
Professional Training and Experience
- Plastic Surgery
- American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- American Board of Otolaryngology
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- American College of Surgeons
- American Medical Association
Honors and Awards
- John Orlando Roe Award (2001)
- Distinction in Biomedical Research (1995)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (1994)
- National Dean’s Letter (1994)
- Grant Recipient, Pre-doctoral Research Training in Otolaryngology, National Institutes of Health (1992)
- Summer Research Fellowship Program, National Institutes of Health (1992)
- Phi Beta Kappa (1991)
- Mortar Board (1990)
- NorthShore University HealthSystem, IL (2005 – Present)
- St. Alexis Medical Center, Hoffman Estates, IL (2003 — Present)
- Neurophysiology Laboratory, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI (October — December 1998)
- Microcirculation Laboratory, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI (July August 1994)
- Neurophysiology Laboratory, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (June — August 1992)
|Fellowship||Beeson Cosmetic Surgery Institute - Indianapolis, IN |
Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
|Residency||Wayne State University, Detroit Medical Center - Detroit, MI |
Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
|Medical Degree||Wayne State University - Detroit, MI |
Doctor of Medicine
|Undergraduate Studies||Michigan State University - East Lansing, MI |
Bachelor of Science in Physiology
Additional Achievements of Dr. John D. Rachel, MD, FACS
- Rachel JD, Lack EB, Larson B. Incidence of complications and early recurrence in 29 patients after facial rejuvenation with barbed suture lifting. Dermatologic Surgery. 2010 Mar;(36):348-354.
- Lack EB, Rachel JD, D’Andrea L, Corres J. Relationship of energy settings and impedance in different anatomical areas using a radiofrequency device. Dermatologic Surgery. 2005 Dec;31(12):1668-1670.
- Lack EB, Rachel JD. Resolution of retracted scar after 585-nm pulse dye laser surgery. Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy. 2004.
- Rachel JD, Jamora JJ. Skin rejuvenation regiments: a profilometry and histopathology study. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery. 2003.
- Lack EB, Rachel JD, Patrascu 0M. Effects of clonidine on propofol-based anesthesia. American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery.